Ramadhan abroad

Assalamualaikum and hi, my imaginary readers!

How's your Ramadhan so far? I really hope the holy month brings us the utmost in peace and had brought us closer to Allah not just in the month itself, but I pray that the spirit of Ramadhan remains in our hearts and lights up our souls from within. Also, I hope the remaining days of our Ramadhan will be filled with many ibadahs and hope we all get to find Laylatul Qadr (disclaimer: copy-pasting sentences from postcards I've sent out). 

As this is the second year that I have spent and may or may not be the last year that I will spend Ramadhan abroad, away from my family, I've decided to write a post about it. Though I thought I have so many things to talk about which I supposed to have to, but now the words are just not coming out. Anyways, I hope when you are reading this, you are actually wondering how different it is to celebrate Ramadhan, not in the place or situation or among people that you are used to. It's really not a big of a deal but when you actually going through it, you'll definitely appreciate things you used to have. 

During my first Ramadhan here; last year when I have just arrived in Japan for about a month or two, I think, it was definitely something new and lonely, at first. Because not that I haven't spent any Ramadhan away from my family, but spending it in a country which is a Muslim-minority is something on another level. It's like in my case, in Malaysia, the Ramadhan vibe is outstanding. You can feel that it's Ramadhan. I mean, almost 2/3 of your circle, people around you are not eating and drinking, obviously. Almost every channel on the TV will broadcast about the fasting month. People walking around at night with telekung and kopiah everywhere without looking like a weirdo. Everyone is performing ibadah, the mosques are filled with people. Not to mention, the BAZAAR. All the delicious foods! It's like people and things around you keep reminding you that it's Ramadhan. 

But abroad? 

Everyone around you eats and drinks, just like any other month. There's no Ramadhan announcement, no waited-for TV1's Maghrib azan, no bazaar, no spending time with your family during iftar and suhoor. The so-called 'Ramadhan vibe', you can barely feel it. That's one thing you'd noticed when you spend Ramadhan abroad. You don't want to perform Taraweeh? Don't want to read the Quran? Don't want to fast? Nobody knows. Your choice. 

So is spending Ramadhan abroad just filled with difficulties and loneliness? Well as time goes by, when you enjoy the thing you do, you'll eventually find the good in it. There are actually many ways in order for you to create your own Ramadhan vibe. As for me, I do 'mosque-hopping' with friends (iftar and Taraweeh at different mosques around Tokyo) and meet sisters from all over the world, iftar with fellow Malaysians, cook for iftar (though this year I rarely cook cause I'm lazy haha), tell Japanese people about Ramadhan and fasting, and many more.

Spending almost two years of fasting abroad, I've realised a few things. It's not the Ramadhan that has to come to you, but it's you who has to bring the Ramadhan, to yourself. It's truly depending on you, yourself. Whether or not to 'live up' the Ramadhan. I learnt that I have to create the Ramadhan vibe myself. Although until now, I think I still have a long way to go to accomplish that. Till then!

P/s: I was actually hoping to write this entry on the plane on my way to Malaysia tomorrow but then I remember I will have problem with the internet connection. So here I am.



photo by: me (and also courtesy by @awaaaaaal)

Also, I almost forgot. I want to thank everyone who participates in my so-called 'Ramadhan Postcards Project'. Thank you for giving out your addresses. Really appreciate it!


Till then, Assalamualaikum!
 Love,
D.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How 2018 has treated me?

A tight hug.

growing up and surviving